From 1993 to 2017 The Meyerhoff Undergraduate Excellence Awards for Leadership, Service and Scholarship have recognized students who have made outstanding leadership and service contributions to the University and/or the surrounding communities while maintaining a record of academic excellence. The awards are named after our benefactor, Harvey “Bud” Meyerhoff from Baltimore, Maryland. Mr. Meyerhoff, a successful businessman and philanthropist, is a 1948 graduate of UW–Madison.
Beginning in 2018 the Ginsberg Family Awards will continue this tradition of recognizing outstanding student leaders. The Ginsberg family has chosen to offer these awards in honor of the late Dean of Students Paul Ginsberg (Dean of Students from 1970-1987) in recognition of his profound impact on the campus community. These awards will continue Dean Ginsberg’s legacy of transforming the student experience.
Recipients receive $1,000 and are honored at a reception at the end of the spring semester, attended by family, friends, and Dean of Students Christina Olstad.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Students must be juniors or seniors currently enrolled at UW–Madison. Recipients are selected by the following academic and student affairs organizations, including the schools/colleges and student governance. The awarding organizations are listed below. Each organization has its own application and selection process.
- Associated Students of Madison
- Center for the First Year Experience
- Center for Leadership and Involvement
- College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- College of Engineering
- College of Letters & Science
- Dean of Students Office
- Division of Diversity, Equity and Educational Achievement
- Gender and Sexuality Campus Center
- International Student Services (The Ginsberg Family Award is provided by the Kurt J. Burghardt Fund for international student support)
- McBurney Disability Resource Center
- Morgridge Center for Public Service
- Multicultural Student Center
- Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Office of Inclusion Education
- Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards
- Recreation and Wellbeing
- School of Education
- School of Human Ecology
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy
- University Health Services
- University Housing
- University Veteran Services
- Wisconsin School of Business
- Wisconsin Union